Half-Year Exchange to Leiden University, the Netherlands
Exchange Period: Fall Semester 2015
Information about Leiden University
Leiden University (Dutch: Universiteit Leiden), located in the city of Leiden, is the oldest university in the Netherlands. The university was founded in 1575 by William, Prince of Orange, leader of the Dutch Revolt in the Eighty Years’ War. The Dutch Royal Family and Leiden University still have a close relationship; Queens Juliana and Beatrix and King Willem-Alexander are all former students.
The university is divided into six major faculties which offer approximately 50 undergraduate degree programs and over 100 graduate programs. In recent years the university has also expanded to The Hague which is home to Leiden University College The Hague a liberal arts and sciences college and the departments of Public Administration, International Relations and Politics. It occupies a number of buildings in the historic centre of the city including a college building in Lange Voorhout.
To know more about Leiden University, please visit here: http://www.leidenuniv.nl/
Who can apply for this exchange program?
Candidates are to be FAH undergraduate or postgraduate students. Undergraduate students must have completed their first two years of study at UM by the start date of the exchange period.
Undergraduate applicants are expected to have a CGPA 3.2 or above.
For selected postgraduate participants, you will have to contact the exchange coordinator of Leiden University directly to discuss more about your research and the professor at Leiden with whom you are interested in working. The coordinator will then contact the professor concerned to see if he/she is available for supervision.
Estimated Costs for One-Semester Exchange (Around 5 Months)
You don’t need to pay for the tuition fee at the Leiden University but you are liable to pay for the tuition fee at UM, and you are liable to meet all the expenses in connection to this exchange, such as but not limited to, air tickets, visa application fee, boarding fee, subsistence etc. Below is a rough estimation for your reference.
- Round-trip air tickets EUR1000-1500
- Accommodation Approx EUR1750-2250
- Meals/groceries Approx EUR1000-1500
- Books Approx EUR200
- Personal Expenses Approx EUR1000
- Health/Medical/Travel Insurance Approx EUR200
Above is an estimation only. All depends on the lifestyle of the student: clothes, going out, travel, sports, etc.
19th – 30th January 2015
- Application form
- Cover letter (Describing why you are interested in applying this exchange program and what your objective is; What are your strengths and weaknesses. Why should we pick you?)
- Transcript in English (since year 1) (For postgraduates, you may approach your department office to issue an academic record for you)
- A certificate or official document of your English proficiency, i.e. TOEFL, IELTS or CET scores (results could be submitted later if necessary)
- Any other supportive documents that will help you get into this program.
Please note that all selected students have to apply visas on their own.
Please send the soft copy of the requested application dossier to Christine at email@example.com and hand in one set of original copy to Christine at E21-4092, FAH General Office.
For inquiries, please contact:
|Ms. Christine Chan||Room E21-4092, FAH General firstname.lastname@example.org 8822 8221|