Please find below the available results for Portuguese Studies Major students that joined the Study Abroad programmer in academic year 2018/2019.
Student who have passed the assessment are required to submit Course Exemption forma available at together with Certificate with grades and the course description with all courses and enroll in Year 4 courses.
Students who have failed are required to retake year 3 and are advised to complete any outstanding GE courses as well as retake courses with grade below C to improve their GPA.
For any inquiries or further advice please contact the Department of Portuguese at room E21-3094.
Additional information and requirements
- The Placement Exam is to be taken before the enrollment period.
- The Department of Portuguese will schedule and administer the exams.
- Students are required to return with a certificate of at least level B2 to be considered for course exemption.
- Should they present an official DIPLE International Certificate of Portuguese Proficiency Exam, students can be waived from the placement exam.
- A panel of teachers and professors from the Department of Portuguese will design the placement test and each exam will be corrected and marked by two teachers. The exam will have both a written and oral component. The final mark will be the average of the two grades.
- The course exemption will only be processed and approved based on the result of the placement exams.
- Those students only achieving level B1 of the European Frame of Reference for the Teaching of Foreign Languages will be required to retake year 3 courses and course exemption will not be approved.
- Students achieving level B2 in the placement exam will be granted course exemption and admitted to year 4.
- Students deferring their studies for an additional semester, are required to obtain and submit an official DIPLE International Certificate of Portuguese Proficiency Exam upon their return to have their course exemption approved and will be waived from placement exams.
- Students deferring their studies for two semesters are required to attend courses at two different levels (B1/B2/C1).
- Students are also required to follow all UM related regulations and should submit along with the course exemption requests all relevant documentation such as course certificates, diplomas, grade certificates and course description with number of lecturer hours.
- Further to the above proposed, the Department of Portuguese will not accept any appeals after the placement exam results are released.