- It equips students with general knowledge of Portuguese Studies in order to enable their progression to a professional activity or an academic career.
- It gives students the opportunity of develop Portuguese communicative competences and enhance cross-cultural communication awareness and skills, in order to become multilingual and multicultural professionals.
- It provides an outcome-based curriculum in Portuguese Studies, with the aim to make students have a clear vision of the learning target and work towards the defined goals.
- It offers an intensive and goal-oriented language training to students in the first two academic years.
- The Study Abroad Programme in the third academic year helps students to improve their knowledge of Portuguese by spending one year overseas in Portuguese or Brazilian universities.
- The specialty training of the fourth academic year (in translation, linguistic studies, literature and culture topics related studies, etc) prepares students for future professional activity or academic career.
- Study Plan for students admitted in or after academic year 2019/2020
- Study Plan for students admitted in or after academic year 2017/2018
- Study Plan for students admitted before academic year 2017/2018
Minimum requirement of 135 credits
- By “Joint Admission Examination for Macao Four Higher Education Institutions” (https://reg.um.edu.mo/admission/local/jae/app-period/ )
- By “PRA Programme” (https://reg.um.edu.mo/pra-info-sheet-student/ )
- By “Chinese and Portuguese Bilingual Talent Nurturing Scheme” (https://reg.um.edu.mo/pra-info-sheet-student/ )
- Excellent academic performance and good conduct;
- Currently studying in Form 6 or equivalent in an officially recognized secondary school in Macao; Ranked among the top 30% in terms of academic performance amongst all Form 5 students or equivalent (including all students in arts, commerce, science and other streams);
- Hold the certificate of proficiency CIPLE for Level A2 (Certificado Inicial de Português Língua Estrangeira) or equivalent (or such proficiency proof can be declared by the school).
- Being a Portuguese – Chinese translator or interpreter
- In the Macau government, local companies, law firms
- In international organizations, public institutions, national enterprises, trading companies
- Teaching Portuguese as a Second Language in colleges, universities, schools and language training centers.
- Working in diplomatic representations, international business, tourism, communication and so on.
- Further studies in Master programmes in the area of translation, linguistics and literature and culture studies.
- Medium of Instruction:
- The courses are taught mainly in Portuguese.
- The translation related courses are taught in Portuguese and Chinese.
- The Portuguese language courses of elementary level are taught with the assistance of Chinese or English.
- General Education Programme Information
- Study Abroad Programmes:
- Study in Portugal (https://fah.um.edu.mo/portuguese/study-in-portugal/)
- Study in Brazil (https://fah.um.edu.mo/portuguese/study-in-brazil/ )