Master of Arts in Chinese Linguistics
Duration: 2 years
Medium of Instruction: Chinese
Our University is undergoing a major revision in Master’s degree programmes. We are proposing for revising the MA in Chinese Linguistics programme to a MPhil programme starting from academic year 2019/2020. Under the MPhil programme, students will have to complete an academic thesis. The applied thesis option will not be available. As the revision is still in progress and is not approved yet, arrangements are subjected to changes. Details will be announced in due course.
- Introducing students to the systematic study of the Chinese language and linguistics, including classical and modern Chinese as well as relevant theories in Chinese linguistics;
- Improving students’ proficiency in Chinese language and Chinese linguistics and enhancing their understanding of latest research and developments in the field.
- Broadening students’ horizon and enable them to explore Chinese language and Chinese linguistics in new ways, new perspectives and by employing new theories.
- Laying a solid foundation for the further pursuit of studies in Chinese language and Chinese linguistics.
- Equipping students with the capacity for independent research and the ability to produce high-quality theses.
- In-depth understanding of the various aspects of of Chinese language and linguistics;
- Building competence in academic research in Chinese language and linguistics;
- Courses spanning three semesters and the writing an academic or applied thesis for graduation.
- Obtain 30 credits as stated in the study plan of the programme;
- GPA Requirement: cumulative GPA of 2.7 or above;
- Write an academic or applied thesis and pass the oral defence.
Please refer to the website of the Graduate School for more details.
- Our graduates enjoy a competitive edge in the education sector and government offices in Hong Kong, Macao and the Chinese mainland.
- Brighter prospects in other fields, encompassing the media, writing, publishing, and cultural creative industry, etc.
- Prepare students to pursue PhD programmes in Chinese language and linguistics.