PhD in Philosophy and Religious Studies
Duration: 4 Years
Medium of Instruction: English
- The programme offers high quality and research-intensive education in philosophy and religious studies leading to a PhD in philosophy.
- PhD students write dissertations and conduct research projects in a variety of areas. Current fields of expertise include comparative philosophy, philosophy of language, philosophy of mind, philosophy of religion, Chinese philosophy, political philosophy, and critical theory.
- Students are being prepared to undertake academic careers in philosophy and religious studies as well as related fields.
- The programme is highly international and diverse, both in terms of its faculty as well as its student community. PhD students are encouraged to spend part of their study period at international partner institutions.
- The research-intensive programme organizes a number of high-calibre international events such as lectures, conferences and workshops each academic year.
- The programme has been successful in securing PhD-student funding either through scholarships or assistantships in UM.
- For students admitted from academic year 2020/2021
- For students admitted from academic year 2018/2019 to 2019/2020
- For students admitted from academic year 2016/2017 to 2017/2018
- For students admitted from academic year 2014/2015 to 2015/2016
- A coursework plus thesis requirement of 24 or 27 credits:
- 4 to 5 courses (which is equal to 6-9 credits) taken over 2 semesters;
- Doctoral Thesis (18 credits) starting from the 3rd semester
- In order to graduate, the student must complete all coursework, pass the qualifying examination within 2 years after his/her initial registration, pass the thesis proposal assessment to achieve PhD candidacy within 4 years after his/her initial registration at UM, and submit and successfully defend the required PhD’s thesis.
- Meets the University general application requirements.
- Master’s degree in related subject from a recognized university.
- Applicants who received their Bachelor’s/Master’s degree from a university where the medium of instruction was not English are required to provide any of the following as proof of English proficiency:
- Obtained a TOEFL* score of 550 (paper-based examination) / 80 (Internet-based examination) or above or,
- An IELTS* score of 6.0 or above with no sub-score lower than 5.5 or,
- College English Test 6 (CET 6) score of 430 or above.
*Note: TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for two years from the test date.
To apply, please click here.
The majority of PhD graduates pursues academic careers after graduation. In recent years our graduates have been exceptionally successful. The placement record of our young PhD programme is currently at 100%. Graduates have taken on academic positions at institutions including the Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences, University of Saint Joseph (Macau) and Sun Yat-sen University.