Or by appointment via email@example.com
Ronald was educated in Macau, Scotland, England and Hong Kong. He obtained his MPhil from Glasgow University, Scotland, specializing in the English Language, before he received training in generative and functional linguistics from other universities.
Ronald is interested in a wide range of topics in linguistics from syntax to sociolinguistics, which is reflected in his publications. He specializes in the interface between syntax and semantics, particularly in the constructionist models. His publications include academic journal articles, editing a book on discourse and grammar to which Halliday and Fries contributed, and a recent monograph on the Chinese resultative construction. He is also interested in popularizing linguistics and this has resulted in several articles of the subject in newspapers and journals. Ronald is now working on a book on the cognitive constructional approach to translation.
He typically teaches introduction to linguistics, English phonetics and phonology and English Grammar. He also teaches MA phonology and pedagogical English grammar. He supervises MA theses on various topics.
Ronald Fong first joined the University of Macau as Lecturer of English Studies in 1997 and then he was Programme Coordinator of English Studies – General Programme before the Department of English was established. He was also a member of several search committees and was involved with the curriculum revision for linguistics. He is Assistant Professor of English Linguistics now.
Ronald gives workshops on different aspects of the English language such as the sound system, and grammar and vocabulary to school teachers to help with their pedagogical concerns.
Ronald has reviewed articles for Lingua, Cognitive Linguistic Studies, Chinese Language and Discourse, etc. He has also reviewed book proposals for publisher such as Routledge, Taylor and Francis, etc
Ronald Fong’s article Chinese Motion-Directional Construction: A Conceptual and Cognitive Analysis published in Studies in Chinese Linguistics (2017) has just been awarded by Macau Foundation the Second Prize in the 5th Macau Outstanding Research Achievements Awards for Humanities and Social Sciences (2019). He also received Long Service Awards from the University of Macau. In 2014 Ronald was awarded a scholarship by Erasmus Mundus to do research at Freie Universite Berlin, Germany.
Fong, Ronald (2020) The Chinese Resultative Construction: a Cognitive Constructional Analysis (LINCOM Studies in Chinese Linguistics 14) Lincom: Munchen
- Fong, Ronald (forthcoming) Is Knowing the Constructions Enough to Understand Modality Patterns in English?, English Today, Cambridge University Press
- Fong, Ronald (in press) A Constructional-cognitive Analysis of the Cantonese Motion-Directional Construction, Yue Dialects, Macau Polytechnic Institute
- Fong, Ronald (2020) Caused-Motions in Chinese: a Constructional-cognitive Analysis, Ampersand Volume 7, Elsevier
- Fong, Ronald (2019) Resultative Constructions in English and Chinese: a Functional-Cognitive Analysis, Linguistics and the Human Sciences Volume 13.3, p236-241, Equinox Publishing Ltd, UK
- Fong, Ronald (2018) A Cognitive Analysis of Cantonese Motion-Directional Construction and its Implications for Translation, Translation Research and Teaching, Volume 1, Issue 2, p16-28
- Fong, Ronald (2017) Chinese Motion-Directional Construction: a Conceptual and Cognitive Analysis, Studies in Chinese Linguistics, Volume 38, Issue 2, p119-147 (This article won the Second Prize in the fifth Outstanding Research in Humanities and Social Sciences in Macau)
- Fong, Ronald (2016) Chinese as Satellite-framed – a Constructional-cognitive Interpretation, Cognitive Linguistic Studies, Volume 2, p234-259
- Fong, Ronald. (2015). The Chinese Ba as a Verb: a Constructional-Cognitive Approach. Open Journal of Modern Linguistics. Vol 5, p48-64.
- Fong, Ronald. (2015). A Constructional-Cognitive Analysis of Chinese Directionals. Cognitive Semantics. Vol 1, Issue 1, p104-130.
- Fong, I.W.R., W. Guthrie & S.Z. Ren, eds. (2001). Grammar and Discourse. University of Macau: Macau
- Fong, I.W.R. (1999). Language planning and language strategy. Issues of the pre- and post-turnover of Macau. Yuanliu: Hong Kong (Also appears in Linguistics Journal of Macau)
- Fong, I.W.R. (2002). Linguistic theory and language education. Conference on Diversified Education.
- Fong. I.W.R. (1999). Articles on contemporary linguistics in Macaodaily
- Fong, I.W.R. (1998). New developments in contemporary linguistics: introduction to construction grammar in Macaodaily.