Or by appointment via email@example.com
Ph.D. Indiana University, Bloomington, IN., U.S.A., 1992. Language Education with emphases on bilingual and foreign language education. (Ph.D. Dissertation: Learner Background Variables Associated with Success in a University Intensive English Program)
M.A. Indiana University, Bloomington, 1985. Linguistics TESL/TEFL.
M.S. Indiana University, Bloomington, 1985. Language Education, Secondary Education.
B.S. Indiana University, Bloomington, 1982. Therapeutic Recreation specializing in autistic and emotionally disturbed populations. Additional major in Spanish.
Professor Kimberly Hughes conducts research in Language Teaching Methodology, Second Language Acquisition, Intercultural Communication Preferences, and Leadership and Change in ELT Settings. New areas of research interest include an examination of learning theory within the contexts of “eastern” vs. “western” educational settings and curricula to promote critical thinking and peace education.
At the University of Macau, Professor Kimberly Hughes has taught English language improvement courses for the Dept. of English and the ELC in addition to undergraduate courses including Critical Thinking, Language Assessment, Applied Linguistics, Introduction to Linguistics, Special Topics and Language and Gender. Graduate courses have included Understanding and Interpreting Research Literature, Current Trends and Issues in Language Learning, Linguistic Research Methods, Second Language Learning and Teaching, and Materials in TESL/TEFL.
Kimberly Hughes came to the University of Macau in January of 2002 as an Invited (Visiting) Professor on leave from Southern Illinois University in Carbondale (SIUC) in the U.S.A. where she was a tenured Associate Professor in the Department of Linguistics and Curriculum Coordinator for CESL (Center for English as a Second Language), an intensive English program. She and her family decided to stay in Macau and she has since been appointed as MA. Program Coordinator for the Department of English (2006-2008) and Director of the English Language Centre (2008-2011). She returned to the Department of English from the ELC in academic year 2012-2013. Previous overseas experience as a professor, language trainer, curriculum developer/consultant and/or teacher trainer included universities in Austria, Honduras, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, and the U.S.A.. She was a Senior Fulbright Fellow from 1999-2000 at Sam Ratulangi University in Manado, Indonesia while on sabbatical from SIUC.
Prof. Kimberly Hughes has been on the editorial board for Asian Journal of English Language Teaching and has reviewed book proposals for Routledge Press, Literacy Volunteers of America and the Hong Kong Research Grants Council. She organized the 2nd annual international English Language Leadership Symposium (2011) and co-organized the 1st Pearl River Delta Graduate Student Conference (2006). She also initiated and led the English Teachers’ Club of Macau (ETC-M) for many years and has frequently been an invited speaker for teacher training workshops and programs at various secondary schools in Macau and on China’s mainland. In 2011, she received the University of Macau’s Academic Staff Award for “outstanding contribution, performance and achievement” (2007-2010).
- Invited Plenary Speaker. Pan-Korea English Teachers Association. Kyungpook National University, Daegu, South Korea, 2013.
- Invited Plenary Speaker. Malaysian International Conference on Academic Strategies in English Language Teaching. Academy of Language Studies, Universiti Teknologi MARA. Shah Alam, Malaysia, 2012.
- University of Macau Academic Staff Award for “outstanding contribution, performance and achievement” 2007-2010, awarded 2011.
- Invited International Speaker. 6th National and First Regional Congress on Educational Research. Universidad Pedagógogica Nacional Francisco Morazá Tegucigalpa, Honduras, 2011.
- Hughes, Kim (2015). Journeys Beyond: A series of interviews and discussions about meditation and spirituality. New York/Ottawa: Lexingford Publishing.
- Hughes, Kim (2014). The Journey Within: Extraordinary conversations with uncommon people. New York/Hong Kong/London: Lexingford Publishing.
- Wilhelm, K. H. (2012). In search of global citizens. International conference proceedings, Malaysian Conference on Academic Strategies in English Language Teaching Nov, 2012: New directions in professional communication (e-ISBN 978-967-0171-22-7), pp. 2-9.
- Li, H. & Wilhelm, K. H. (2008). Exploring pedagogic reasoning: Reading strategy instruction from two teachers’ perspectives. The Reading Matrix 8 (1), 96-110. (1st author Hua Li).
- Wilhelm, K. H. & Chen, P. (2006). University teachers’ and students’ perceptions of ELT methodologies and their effectiveness. GEMA Online Journal of Language Studies 8 (2), 79-102.
- Wilhelm, K. H. (2006). Teaching, practicing, and celebrating a cooperative learning model. In McCafferty, S. G., Jacobs, G. M, & DaSilva Iddings, A.C. (Eds.). Cooperative Learning and Second Language Teaching (pp. 153-180). New York: N.Y.: Cambridge University Press.
- Wilhelm, K. H. (2006). No Books and 150 Students. English Teaching Forum 44 (3), 22-31.
- Wilhelm, K. H. (2005). Developmental and alternative assessment: Knowing what they know (and don’t know!). Crosslinks in English Language Teaching vol. 2, 63-93.
- Wilhelm, K. H. & Rivers, M. (2001). An audience approach to EAP writing assessment. Applied Language Learning 12 (2), 177-190.