Or by appointment via email@example.com
Professor Yifeng Sun (BA, MLitt, PhD) was educated or undertook research at the Universities of Nanjing, Cardiff, Westminster, Cambridge, Leiden and Oxford.
His research interests include translation theory, translation criticism, intercultural studies, comparative literature, English & American literature and literary theory. He has published several monographs on translation studies, cross-cultural communication, British literature and comparative literature. He has conducted workshops on translation theory for postdoctoral researchers and faculty members.
Yifeng Sun is Chair Professor of Translation Studies and Head of the Department of English at the University of Macau, and Honorary Professor at the University of Queensland. Previously he was Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Director of the Centre for Humanities Research at Lingnan University, Hong Kong. He is the author of Chinese-Western Translation Theories (with D. Li, forthcoming), Translating Foreign Otherness (2018), Cultural Translation (2016), Perspective, Interpretation and Culture (2nd edition, 2006), Cultural Exile and Homeward Journey (2005) and Fragmentation and Dramatic Moments (2002), and editor or co-editor of Translating Chinese Art and Modern Literature (2019), Translation and Academic Journals (2015) and Translation, Globalisation and Localisation (2008). In addition, he serves as Associate Editor | Editor-in-Chief (as of 2021) of Babel: Revue internationale de la traduction / International Journal of Translation (John Benjamins) and as an editorial board member of Asia Pacific Interdisciplinary Translation Studies and Chinese Translators Journal.
Professor Sun is former Vice President of the International Association for Translation and Intercultural Studies (IATIS), and a member of the Translation and Culture Committee of the International Federation of Translators (FIT). He is now a member of the Executive Council of the Translators Association of China (TAC), and deputy director of its Committee on Translation Theory and Teaching. In addition, he serves on the academic committee of a major national project entitled Key Concepts in Chinese Thought and Culture to oversee and facilitate the dissemination of Chinese cultural tradition and heritage to the rest of the world. He has given academic talks at the Universities of Oxford, London, Queensland, Leuven, Newcastle and Hong Kong, among many others.
- Sun, Y. & Song, C. (2019). (Eds.) Translating Chinese Art and Modern Literature. London and New York: Routledge.
- Sun, Y. (2018). Translating Foreign Otherness: Cross-Cultural Anxiety in Modern China. London and New York: Routledge.
- Sun, Y. (2016). Cultural Translation. Beijing: Peking University Press.
- Sun, Y. (2015). (Ed.) Translation and Academic Journals: The Evolving Landscape of Scholarly Publishing. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wang, N. & Sun, Y. (2008). (Eds.) Translation, Globalisation and Localisation: A Chinese Perspective. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters. (Also in Arabic translation).
- Sun, Y. (2nd edition, 2006). Perspective, Interpretation and Culture: Theory of Literary Translation. Beijing: Tsinghua University Press.
- Sun, Y. (2005). Cultural Exile and Homeward Journey: R L Stevenson and American Fiction. Beijing: Foreign Language Teaching & Research Press.
- Sun, Y. (2002). Fragmentation and Dramatic Moments: Zhang Tianyi and the Narrative Discourse of Upheaval in Modern China. New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
Articles and Chapters
- Sun, Y. & Li, D. (forthcoming). Digital Humanities. Comparative Literature Studies.
- 2020). Decoding and Canonization through Translation: The Reception of Decoded in the English-Speaking World. Translation Review. doi.org/10.1080/07374836.2020.1782295 (
- Sun, Y. (2020). Literary Translation during the Chinese Cultural Revolution. Comparative Literature Studies, 57(4)
- Sun, Y. (2019). World Literature in and through Translation. Neohelicon: Acta Comparationis Litterarum Universarum. 46(2). 601–621.
- Sun, Y. (2019). Translation and Chinese Modernity. In Y. Sun & C. Song (Eds.) Translating Chinese Art and Modern Literature. London and New York: Routledge, 186-205.
- Sun, Y. (2018). Liberal Arts Education and the Modern University. European Review 26(2). 272-284.
- Sun, Y. (2018). Deconstruction and Translation Research. Derrida Today 11(1), 22-36.
- Sun, Y. (2017). Translatability. In Shei, C & Gao, Z. (Eds.) Routledge Handbook of Chinese Translation. London and New York: Routledge, 101-114.
- Sun, Y. (2017). Cosmopolitan Translation and Cross-Cultural Paradigms. TELOS: Quarterly Journal of Politics, Philosophy, Critical Theory, Culture, and the Arts 180 (Fall), 47–66.
- Sun, Y. (2015). The Shifting Distance of Translation. In Ko, L and Chen, P. (Eds.) Translation and Cross-Cultural Communication Studies in the Asia Pacific. Leiden: Brill Rodopi, 31-45.
- Sun, Y. & Tang, F. (2014). A Parallel Corpus-based Investigation of Vocabulary Features of Tourism Translations. International Journal of Linguistics and Communication 2 (3), 1-22.
- Sun, Y. (2014). Translation and Back Translation: Transcultural Reinventions in Some Chinese American Literary Works. Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies 1 (2), 107 – 121.
- Sun, Y. (2014). Cross-Cultural Translation: Attitudes, Feelings and Affective Interactions. Neohelicon: Acta Comparationis Litterarum Universarum, XXXIV (1), 275-292.
- Sun, Y. (2012). The Shifting Identity of Translation Studies in China. Intercultural Communication Studies 21 (2), 32 – 52.
- Sun, Y. (2012). (Un)Translatability and Cross-Cultural Readability. Perspectives: Studies in Translatology 20 (2), 231-247.
- Sun, Y. (2011). Translation, Modernity and Cultural Representation. ARIEL: A Review of International English Literature 42 (1), 191 -197.
- Sun, Y. (2011). Violence and Translation Discourse. Journal of Multicultural Discourses 6 (2), 159-175.
- Sun, Y. (2009). “Authenticity” and Foreignizing Translation. In X. Luo & Y. He (Eds.), Translating China. Clevedon: Multilingual Matters, 157-170.
- Sun, Y. (2008). Opening the Cultural Mind: Translation and Modern Chinese Literary Canon. Modern Language Quarterly: A Journal of Literary History 69 (1), 13-27.
- Sun, Y. (2007). (Multi)-Cultural Context: Interpretation and Translation Adrift. Babel: International Journal of Translation 53 (3), 241-259.
- Sun, Y. (2007). Displacement and Intervention: Re-Creating Literary Texts through Cultural Translation. Neohelicon: Acta Comparationis Litterarum Universarum, 34 (2), 101-114.