Wednesday: 8:30 -11:30 am
Friday: 9:00-11:30 am
Or by appointment via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ph.D., Sept. 1998-August 2004, Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- Ph.D., Program, 1996 -1998 (incomplete), Renmin University of China, Beijing
- M.A., Chinese History, 1994 -1996, Renmin University of China, Beijing
- B.A., Chinese History, 1990 -1994, Renmin University of China, Beijing
- Chinese History
- World History (Sino-Southeast Asian-Indian triangular Interactions)
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine
- The Gu （蛊）: Disease, Witchcraft and Sorcery, Love Magic, and Chinese Empire Building (book manuscript)
- Red Guards in Burma (1960s-1980s): an Oral History
- Global/World History
- Chinese History
- Southeast Asian History
- 08/2017 – Present, Associate Professor, University of Macau
- 07/2010 – 07/2017, Associate Professor (Tenured), National Univ. of Singapore
- 08/2011– 06/2012, Visiting Scholar, The Yenching Institute, Harvard University
- 12/2005 – 06/2010, Assistant Professor, National University of Singapore
- 07/2005 – 11/2005, Lecturer, Renmin University of China, Beijing
- 2004 – 2005, Visiting Assistant Professor, The College of William & Mary
- Member, The Xiling Seal Art Society 西泠印社海外社员 （November 2018 – ）
- Managing Editor, Asian Review of World Histories (2016-2018)
- Editor-in-Chief, Modern China Studies (2017 – )
- Founding Member, Asian Association of World History (May 2008 – )
- Life Member, World History Association
- Adjunct Professor, The History Department, Shanghai Jiaotong University, 2015-19
- 2018, The Harvard-Yenching Publication Grant (US $ 8,000 to support my monograph Cowrie Shells and Cowrie Money: A Global History)
- 2018, My paper“Exodus: Lotus Seals and Sealings in a Transregional Perspective”, awarded the first prize at the 2018 international forum on images, seals, and sealings, organized by the Xiling Seal Art Society (西泠印社)
- 2017-19, The Start-Up Research Grant, University of Macau
- 2014-16, The HSS Seed Funding, FASS, National University of Singapore
- 2011-12, The Harvard-Yenching Visiting Scholarship
- 2009, Shortlisted for The 2009 Gordon White Prize (for the most original article by a young scholar published in The China Quarterly)
- 2006-09, Staff Start-Up Research Grant, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, National University of Singapore
- 2005, The 2004 Gutenberg-e Prize, The American Historical Association
- 2004, Dissertation Writing-up Fellowship, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore
- 2003, First AAS Dissertation Workshop, sponsored by The Association for Asian Studies and Social Science Research Council, March 2003
- Cowrie Shells and Cowrie Money: A Global History. Routledge, December 2018.
- 饶宗颐新加坡大学执教考 (Jao Tsung-I in Singapore (1968-1973): Life, Research, and Chinese Scholar Diaspora), Hong Kong: Jao Tsung-I Petite Ecole, Hong Kong University, summer 2018.
- Between Winds and Clouds: The Making of Yunnan (Second Century BCE – 20th Century CE). N Y.: Columbia University Press, 2009 (Hardcopy).
- _______. 2008 (Gutenberg-eBook: http://www.gutenberg-e.org/yang/index.html).
ENGLISH JOURNAL ARTICLES
- “Introduction to the Special Issue on the 50th Anniversary of the Launch of the ‘Great Proletariat Cultural Revolution’,” (Co-authored with Wang Yuan) Modern China Studies 23.2 (Summer 2016): 1-5 (English); 7-9 (Chinese).
- “Under and Beyond the Pen of Eileen Chang: Shanghai, Nanyang, Huaqiao, and Greater China.” Frontiers of History in China, 2016, 11(3): 458-484.
- “Cadres, Grain, and Sexual Abuse in Wuwei County, Mao’s China (Mid-1950s – Early 1960s).” Co-authored with Shuji Cao) Journal of Women’s History No.28, issue, 2 (Summer 2016): 28-57.
- “Grain, Local Politics and the Making of Mao’s Famine in Wuwei, 1958–1961.” (Co-authored with Shuji Cao) Modern Asian Studies, 49: 1675-1703.
“Mt. Tambora, Climatic Changes, and China’s Decline in the Nineteenth Century.” (Co-authored with Shuji Cao & Yushang Li), Journal of World History Vol. 23, no. 3 (Sept. 2012): 587–607.
- “The Bengal Connections in Yunnan.” China Report, Vol. 48, No. 1&2 (Feb. & May 2012, Special Issue: Studies on India-China Interactions Dedicated to Professor Ji Xianlin 1911-2009): 125-146.
- Featured Review of Coming to Terms with the Nation, Ethnic Classification in Modern China. By Thomas S. Mullaney, with a foreword by Benedict Anderson. Berkeley, Los Angles and London: University of California Press, 2011, American Historian Review Vol. 116, no. 4 (October 2011): 1068-1071.
- “The Rise and Fall of Cowry Shells: The Asian Story.” Journal of World History, Vol. 22, no. 1(Mar. 2011): 1-26.
- “The Zhang on Southern Chinese Frontiers: Disease-Construction, Environmental Changes, and Imperial Colonization.” Bulletin of the History of Medicine, Vol. 84, No. 2 (Summer 2010): 163-192.
- “‘We Want to Go Home!’ – The Great Petition in Xishuangbanna, Yunnan, 1978-1979.” The China Quarterly, vol. 198 (June 2009), pp. 401-421; Chinese translation with revisions, titled “‘Ningke shatou, yeyao Huijia’ – 1978-1979 Xishuangbanna Zhiqing daqingyuan shuping,” Modern China Studies, Vol. 20. No. 1 (Jan. 2013): 99 -141.
- “Central State, Local Governments, Ethnic Groups, and the Minzu Identification in Yunnan, 1950s-1980s.” Modern Asian Studies, Volume 43, part 3 (May 2009): 735-770.
- “Horses, Silver, Cowries: Yunnan in a Global Perspective.” Journal of World History, Vol. 15, no. 3 (September 2004): 281-322.
- Yang Bin & Wang Yuan, eds., “Special Issue on the 50th Anniversary of the Launch of the ‘Great Proletariat Cultural Revolution’.” Modern China Studies 23.2 (Summer 2016), pp. 234.
- “Ethnicity.” In The Making of the Human Sciences in Late Imperial and Modern China, ed. Howard Chiang, Brill (forthcoming in 2019).
- “Cowry Shells in Eastern Eurasia.” in The Silk Road: Long-Distance Trade, Culture, and Society: Interwoven History, the inaugural issue of Association for Central Asian Civilizations & Silk Road Studies, Cambridge, MA, USA: Cambridge Institutes Press, 2014, pp.1-32.
- “The Bay of Bengal Connections to Yunnan.”In Pelagic Passageways: The Northern Bay of Bengal before Colonialism,ed. Rila Mukherjee, Primus Books, New Delhi, 2011, pp. 317-342.
- “Frontier, Chinese Incorporation, and Global Perspective.” in World History: Global
and Local Interactions, ed. Patrick Manning, Markus Wiener Publishers, 2006, pp. 31-
- The Eurasian Core and its Edges: Dialogues with Wang Gungwu on the History
of the World. By Ooi Kee Beng. Singapore: Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, 2015. pp. 254. Map, Illustrations, Index. Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, 48.1 (Feb. 2017): 146-149.
- Beyond Borders: Stories of Yunnanese Chinese Migrants of Burma. By Wen-Chin CHANG, Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press, 2014, pp. 278. Maps, Figures, Glossary. Journal of Southeast Asian Studies Vol. 47, no. 2 (June 2016): 304-305.
- Prosperity’s Predicament: Identity, Reform, and Resistance in Rural Wartime China. By Isabel Brown Crook and Christina Kelley Gilmartin with Yu Xiji, compiled and edited by Gail Hershatter and Emily Honig. Rowman & Littlefield, 2013, 325 pages (Hardcopy). http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=41325.
- Speaking of Epidemics in Chinese Medicine: Disease and the Geographical Imagination in Late Imperial China. By Marta E. Hanson, London and New York: Routledgc, 08/ 2011. 288 pages. Asian Ethnology 72.1 (Spring 2013): 143-44.
- Birds and Beasts in Chinese Texts and Trade: Lectures Related to South China and the Overseas World. By Roderich Ptak, Harrassowitz Verlag & Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz GmbH & Co. KG, Wiesbaden (Maritime Asia Volume; 22), 2011, Plates 10, pp. x, 140. East Asian Science, Technology, and Medicine no. 37 (2013-2014): 107-110.
- Buddhism and Islam on the Silk Road. By Johan Elverskog. Philadelphia & Oxford: University of Pennsylvania Press, 2010, pp. 352. Journal of World History, Volume 22, no. 4 (December 2011): 825-828.
- The Sichuan Frontier and Tibet: Imperial Strategy in the Early Qing. By Dai Yingcong. Seattle & London: University of Washington Press, 2009, pp. 352. Chinese Historical Review (Autumn 2010): 240-243.
- Southeast Asia in World History. By Craig A. Lockard. Oxford University Press, 2009. Asia Pacific World, Volume 1, no. 2: 131-133.
- Amid the Clouds and Mist: China’s Colonization of Guizhou, 1200-1700. By John Herman. Harvard University Press, 2007. The Journal of Colonialism and Colonial History Volume 10, iss. 2 (Fall 2009): N.A.
CHINESE PAPERS & ESSAYS
- “出走前的汪精卫和服刑中陈璧君 (Wang Jingwei before His Flee and Chen Bijun in Prison).”Modern China Studies, Vol. 25, Issue 2 (2018): 71-84.
- “Early Egypt from Seals of Scarabs（金龟子印中的古埃及）.” Second Prize, the 2016 International Forum on non-Chinese Seals and Sealings, The Xiling Sealing Society (西泠印社2016年“篆物铭形——图形与非汉字系统印章国际学术研讨会”二等奖)，《篆物铭形—图形与非汉字系统印章国际学术研讨会论文集》，西泠印社编，杭州：西泠印社出版社， 2017年， 76-94。
- “Law Codes in Chang Mai, Cowrie Shells, and Asian Cultural Interactions （清迈法典、海贝和亚洲的文明交流）” ，纪 贇译， 《中印关系的视野和前景》， 沈丹森、孙英刚 编，上海：复旦大学出版社，2016， 167-181。
- “Men or Rats? Recent Debates on the Collapse of the Easter Island, I &II (人鼠之争—复活节岛毁灭的新探索 （上、下）” ，《社会学家茶座 Forum of Sociology》 2012 年第1期, 74-80 ；第2期， 115-120。