The Department of English in the Faculty of Arts and Humanities at the University of Macau offers a two-year MA in English Studies that is designed to develop your knowledge of the language and literatures of the English-speaking world. You will expand your knowledge of English linguistics and literature and develop your skills in reading, writing, speaking and critical analysis. After the course you will be better equipped for further academic study, or for a professional career in a world where a deep knowledge of English is increasingly a passport to success. The programme benefits from the presence of staff members who can all draw on international experience of research and teaching.
There are two possible modes of study in the MA in English Studies programme:
- the English Studies mode (academic thesis option) offers students the opportunity to develop an extended independent research project (20,000 words) alongside taught courses. It is particularly recommended for those students wishing to pursue PhD studies locally or overseas.
- the Applied English mode (applied thesis option) offers a wider range of taught courses alongside a shorter research project (10,000 words). It is particularly recommended for those students who wish to broaden their experience of English linguistics and literature by taking advanced taught courses.
- Please click here for detailed curriculum for students admitted from 2014/2015 to 2018/2019
- Please click here for detailed curriculum for students admitted before 2014/2015
- Complete 30 credits in total according to the curriculum requirement;
- Achieve a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.7 or above;
- Submit and successfully defend an academic or applied thesis.
Please refer to the Graduate School’s webpage.
Postgraduate study at the MA level is the gateway to the PhD, which is essential to those seeking to enter the academic profession. A high-level understanding of the English language, and of language and mediation more generally, contributes to success in many administrative and business pursuits.