Founded in 1990, the Department of Portuguese is the biggest of its kind in Asia and has already achieved an international reputation both in research and teaching, with a dynamic group of about 30 highly experienced teachers, professors and researchers of different nationalities.
- to promote the study of the Portuguese Language and the Cultures of all Portuguese-speaking countries at undergraduate and postgraduate (master’s and doctoral degrees) levels;
- to promote academic research related to the teaching of Portuguese (FL/SL) and Portuguese studies;
- to contribute to the training of qualified professionals willing to work in areas connected with intercultural communication, especially as mediators between China and Portuguese-speaking countries.
Research Centre for Luso-Asian Studies
Our Research Centre for Luso-Asian Studies offers to researchers as well as to postgraduate and undergraduate students opportunities to participate actively in research projects.
Chinese-Portuguese Bilingual Teaching and Training Centre
The Chinese-Portuguese Bilingual Teaching and Training Centre aims at improving our Department’s current bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs in Portuguese language and culture, as well as to offer Portuguese training courses in order to establish a ‘one-stop’ mechanism for training bilingual professionals. The centre also publishes quality Portuguese language teaching materials, promotes the application of technologies in teaching, and develops online learning software or Portuguese language teaching materials.
The largest Portuguese teaching institution in Asia
With a dynamic group of almost 30 highly experienced teachers, professors and researchers of different nationalities, the Department of Portuguese is the biggest of its kind in Asia and has already achieved an international reputation both in research and teaching.
The Department of Portuguese offers Undergraduate Programmes (Major and Minor studies) as well as Postgraduate Programmes:
- Master of Arts in Portuguese Language and Culture and Translation Studies;
- PhD Programme in Linguistics or Literary and Cultural Studies.
Study Abroad & Exchange Opportunities
The students engaged in our Department will find some excellent opportunities to deepen their knowledge of Portuguese and also to improve their research skills through Exchange Programmes in Brazil and Portugal as well as Asian countries.