Minor in Philosophy
Duration: 2-4 Years
Medium of Instruction: English
From the 2nd semester of academic year 2018/2019 onwards, all FAH minor programmes will require 30 credits. For students who have enrolled before, the total credit requirement remains the same at 18-21 credits.
- The minor programme in philosophy is designed to offer students academic training in the three major areas of philosophical inquiry: the history of philosophy, practical inquiry into ethics and politics, and theoretical inquiry into issues of knowledge, mind, beauty and reality.
- Students are trained in rigorous, reflective, careful and critical thinking. The study of philosophy emphasizes interpretative skills as well as clarity of expression in both written and oral form. Students are encouraged to approach complex questions from multiple perspectives.
- Philosophical study contributes to an in-depth examination about what is of value in life.
- Students are invited to explore the fascinating realms of truth, wisdom, beauty, values, and beliefs together within a vibrant programme with a highly international faculty focused on quality teaching and research.
- In view of the unique historical legacy of Macao, the programme places a particular emphasis on comparative themes, especially those concerning Western and Asian philosophical and religious traditions.
- The Philosophy Association organizes a variety of student-oriented activities including reading groups, film screening, lectures and debates.
In order to graduate with a minor qualification, a student must complete all requirements of the enrolled minor programme, as well as all the requirements of the major programme of study. The results achieved in the minor courses will be calculated towards the calculation of graduation GPA.
Please refer to the Registry’s website.
- Beyond its inherent value, the study of philosophy provides a solid foundation for pursuing any number of professions in areas such as public administration, business, education, journalism, law, politics, consulting, publishing or the cultural sector.
- Philosophy minors have been successful in entering internationally renowned graduate programs not only in philosophy but also in related disciplines such as psychology, sociology, economics, law, linguistics and translation. Recent graduates have been admitted to institutions such as Columbia University, University of Saint Andrews and National University of Singapore.