One-Semester Exchange Programme to Beijing Foreign Studies University
Information about Beijing Foreign Studies University
Beijing Foreign Studies University, or the BFSU, is a prestigious university and the first foreign language university in China. Under the direct management of the State Ministry of Education, it offers multiple language programmes at the bachelor level, including Portuguese Language, and it is the university offering the most language programmes in the country. Besides, it also provides Master and PhD programmes in different majors. Through all these Years, BFSU has been cultivating numerous talents for China in the fields such as foreign affairs, foreign trade, international exchange and foreign language teaching. It is an important base for cultivating talents in foreign affairs and translation. Many excellent bilingual talents of Chinese and Portuguese were graduated from this university.
For more details of the Department of Spanish and Portuguese, please visit: https://xpyx.bfsu.edu.cn/
2nd semester of Academic Year 2022/2023, normally from end of January to July, 2023.
26th September to 5th October, 2022
Exchange Programme Cost
Selected students are expected to pay tuition fees to the University of Macau for the one-semester (2nd semester of AY2022/2023) exchange period and meet all the living expenses while they are studying in Beijing, in addition to a round trip costs to Beijing. However, Accommodation Fee of a shared room in Beijing Foreign Studies University will be waived for selected students.
Who can apply for this exchange programme?
First year Macao local students (with Macao ID card) who are majoring in the Bachelor of Arts in Portuguese Studies Programme in Academic Year 2022/2023 are eligible for application. The selection is not merely based on academic records, CV, and other factors and performances such as capabilities and talents, social responsibility and activity, learning attitude and motivation, service to community, etc. will be considered as well. Personal interview may be required. A maximum of 5 students can be selected for this exchange programme.
Credit Transfer and Residential College Requirement after the programme
- Since all undergraduate new students of University of Macau admitted in 2022/2023 are required to stay at the University’s Residential Colleges for one academic year, students who study in Beijing Foreign Studies University have to stay at the Residential Colleges after they return to University of Macau to study in the second year. They are also required to enroll one to two GE English courses and the ‘First Year Experiential Learning’ course in the second year.
- After the programme, students should apply for course exemption at the Department of Portuguese office with the official transcripts, course outlines and proof of course lecture hours from the Beijing Foreign Studies University. Students can only transfer the credits back to University of Macau when they have passed the courses in Beijing Foreign Studies University.
- Students who participate in this programme can also participate in the study abroad programme to Portugal / Brazil in their third year. According to the General Rules Governing Bachelor’s Degree Programmes, the normal limit on the number of credits that can be transferred to a programme is one-third of the total credits required.
Documents of Application
- Filled application form in the Outbound Exchange and Scholarship Application System
- Curriculum Vitae
- A cover letter (Describing why you are interested in applying this exchange programme and what your objective is? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Why should we pick you?)
- Transcript in Secondary School (in English)
- Any other supportive documents you want to submit (optional)
Please note that all selected students have to obtain valid Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents on their own.
To apply, please send all documents to the on-line platform: https://isw.um.edu.mo/seas by 5th October, 2022.
For inquiries, please contact:
Phone: Iny / Nuno, Department of Portuguese, Tel: 88228181 / 88228903
Phone: Christine / Carol, FAH General Office, Tel: 88228221 / 88224582