Half-Year Exchange to Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
Exchange Period: Second Semester, AY2022/2023
Information about Hankuk University of Foreign Studies
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (HUFS) was established in 1954 and is the birthplace of foreign language education in Korea. It played a significant role in reconstructing Korea after the Korean War by producing numerous CEOs and diplomats. HUFS is a specialized university that educates students to become creative experts, international citizens and independent researchers who will contribute to the development and exchange of cultures. To know more about the University, you may visit their website.
Who can apply for this exchange programme?
- Full-time students with good disciplinary and academic standing;
- All FAH Bachelor students in their third year with a GPA greater than 2.7 and FAH Master students with a GPA greater than 2.7 are eligible to apply;
- Satisfactory language proficiency.
If a student’s native language is neither English nor Korean (and are intending to take regular credit classes in one of these languages), then any of the following would be required/accepted:
- Official Language Test Scores (IELTS, TOEFL or TOPIK, etc.)
- Letter of Recommendation from a Professor with knowledge of the student’s academic language
For the Intensive Korean Programme, there is no prior language requirement.
Estimated Expenses for One-semester Exchange:
Selected students are expected to pay tuition fees to the University of Macau and meet all the accommodation, meals and living expenses while they are studying in the host university. HUFS is not the party required the financial documents for the exchange – the Ministry of Justice (i.e. Immigration) is now requiring the exchange students submit (to the HUFS) proof of financial stability following the length of their exchanges:
- 4 months – 6,800 USD
- 6 months – 10,200 USD
- 10 months – 17,000 USD
- 12 months – 20,000 USD
This amount must be in a bank account (i.e. a saving account/checking account) in your or your parents’ name. Your last names must match or you need to submit to HUFS a document showing the family relationship. This statement will be requested around the time that we start issuing the Certificates of Admission as your statement must be issued within 30 days of Certificate’s issuance date.
In addition, selected students have to bear the cost of transportation such as round trip air ticket and local transportation etc. Please also note that students have to apply for visas on their own if a visa is needed.
For further information about this exchange, kindly visit HUFS’ pre-arrival guide for students.
7 – 21 Sep 2022
- Curriculum Vitae
- A certificate or official document of English Proficiency Requirement (i.e. IELTS scores – minimum score is 6). Result must be within recent 2 years, please refer to the aforementioned ‘Language Scores’;
- Statement of Purpose (Describing why you are interested in applying this exchange program and what your objective is; what are your strengths and weaknesses. Why should we pick you?) (The document can be attached to ‘Other Supporting Documents’ in GAO application system)
- Two Reference Letters (The documents can be attached to ‘Other Supporting Documents’ in GAO application system)
Important Notes for Exchange Students
- They must obtain comprehensive insurance and complete at least 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccination prior to the departure (at students own expenses)
- They need to sign a Participant Declaration before departure
- They have to read the “Rules for Semester-based Outgoing Exchange Programmes” and pay attention to the credits requirement.
- Read carefully the relevant application requirement;
- Consult your programme coordinator about course selection and credit transferability;
- Apply for the exchange programme (Application period: 7 – 21 Sep 2022) and complete the application through GAO application system.
- Check your email for the assessment arrangement after the application period;
- Check your email for the nomination result;
- Apply for the exchange to the host university and receive the acceptance letter;
- Prepare and submit your learning agreement;
- Prepare your departure
For enquiry, please contact Carol / Christine at email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org , General Office of Faculty of Arts and Humanities (FAH) by the application deadline.