Leong Wong Ian, a third-year student of Japanese studies from the University of Macau (UM), recently won the championship at the 42nd Japanese Speech Contest held in Hong Kong.
Leong’s speech focused on the importance of Japanese honorific expressions. Based on her experiences, she illustrated her views on the language’s complex honorific system in a unique and interesting way. Her performance received unanimous applause from the judges and members of the audience.
Leong’s instructor is Kumiko Kimura. Under her guidance, Leong started to receive intensive training on pronunciation and facial expression two months before the contest. Leong says that UM provides a very good environment for language learning because most of the instructors in the department are from Japan and Japanese is the main medium of instruction. She believes that it is important to be a self-driven learner when learning a new language, and one of the best ways to learn a language is to speak it. She thinks UM’s multilingual environment provides an excellent platform for students to practice speaking foreign languages.
This year marks the 55th anniversary of the Japan Society of Hong Kong. Organised by the society and held in Chiang Chen Studio Theatre of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, this year’s competition attracted 14 students from Hong Kong, Macao and Guangdong.
- 澳大生日語辯論賽奪冠 [華僑報] 2017-11-25 23 澳聞
- 港日語辯論賽澳大奪冠 [濠江日報] 2017-11-27 B07 澳門新聞
- 澳大學生奪香港日語辯論賽冠軍 [正報] 2017-11-25 P03
- 澳大學生於香港日語辯論賽奪冠 [澳門政府新聞-中文版] 2017-11-24 01
- 港日語辯賽澳大生奪冠 [澳門日報] 2017-11-29 B09 澳聞 教育園地
- Education UM student wins championship at Japanese Speech Contest in HK [澳門每日時報] 2017-11-29 P04 MACAU
- UM student wins championship at Japanese Speech Contest in Hong Kong [澳門政府新聞-英文版] 2017-11-24 02
- Estudante da Universidade de Macau vence concurso de eloquência em japonês [27/11/2017] Ponto Final