Master of Arts in History
Duration: 2 years
Medium of Instruction: English, with specific courses in Chinese
Students will expand their knowledge of history and develop skills in critical analysis, conducting research, and writing a discourse on a topic of the history field. In the end, the students will be better equipped for further academic study, or for professional career in the future.
There are two options, academic thesis and applied thesis.
- The academic thesis option offers students the opportunity to develop an extended independent research project (75 pages) alongside taught courses. It prepares those students who plan to pursue PhD studies.
- The applied thesis option offers a wider range of taught courses alongside a shorter research project. It is for those students who wish to broaden their knowledge of history but with no intention to devote themselves for academic research in the future.
For In-taken in Academic Year 2016-2017 and after, click here.
- Obtain 30 credits as stated in the study plan of the programme;
- GPA Requirement: cumulative GPA of 2.7 or above;
- Write an academic or applied thesis and pass the oral defence.
Please refer to the website of the Graduate School for details
Postgraduate study at the MA level is the gateway to the PhD, which is essential to those seeking to enter the academic profession. Many MAs of the history field in the past found jobs as history teachers in high school or work in college. The broad knowledge, analytical skills, and comprehensive writing skill in general contribute to success in many administrative and business pursuits.