PhD in Literary Studies (English)
Duration: 4 Years
Medium of Instruction: English
- To allow the student to write a high quality, original academic thesis which can be published either individually as articles, or as an entire book after graduation
- To widen the breadth of the student’s knowledge in their chosen area.
- To generally improve the student’s awareness of research methodology
- To train the student up to a professional level of academic writing
- To qualify the student for work either as a university professor, or for work in areas such as government administration and independent research groups
- To assist the student in securing high level publications of research outside their thesis
- Careful and intense supervision over the writing of a long, original thesis
- University-wide and Faculty-based courses to improve writing skills, research ethics , teaching ability, and knowledge in the student’s chosen field
- Experience in academic teaching, the organization of conferences and other essential academic duties
- Help with the preparation of academic articles for publication in prestigious journals
- For students who are admitted in 2013/2014, please click here.
- For students who are admitted in 2014/2015 and 2015/2016, please click here.
- For students who are admitted in or after 2016/2017, please click here.
Please refer to the following rules and regulations for postgraduate programmes:
Please refer to the Graduate School’s webpage.
Most of our students become university professors, mainly in mainland China, however others also go further afield. With a PHD in English, however, one can also apply for work in other areas such as management, public service, the media, and of course arts administration.